How to perform a clean installation of Windows. You can perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 installation media, such as a DVD or USB flash drive. You do not need to install Windows on your PC perform a clean installation of 8.1 in previous versions of Windows, but your version of Windows 8. Windows If your computer does not already installed, you need to install a previous version of Windows or later Windows 8.1 or system builder version of Windows 8 local retailers, if it is in your country or region.
To use the DVD or USB flash drive to perform a clean installation
If purchased from participating retailers or DVD Windows 8 Windows 8.1 on, or create a DVD or a bootable USB flash drive, when you download the Windows Upgrade Assistant to use, follow these steps to perform a clean installation.
If you format the partition during the installation process, all data on the partition will be deleted. Be sure to back up any data you want to make before you started.
- Turn on the computer in order to boot Windows properly, insert a DVD or USB flash drive, then turn off the computer.
- Restart the computer, then press any key to boot from DVD or USB flash drive. If you restart your computer and version of your current Windows startup, you may need to open a boot menu, or to change the BIOS or UEFI settings PC boot sequence, making your computer from the media. To open a start menu or change the boot sequence, you usually need to press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, Esc key, etc.) in combination, after you turn on the computer. On changing the boot sequence of instructions for your PC, check with your PC or go to the manufacturer’s documentation site. If your current version of Windows still starts, try again by waiting until the Windows asking you to log in, shut down, then restart the computer again.
- On the Install Windows page, enter the language and other preferences, and then tap or click Next.
- Tap or click Install Windows.
- Enter product key to activate Windows page, enter the product key. The product key should be in the 8.1 DVD Windows come in, or in the purchase confirmation e-mail. It looks like this: Product Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
- In the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click or click I accept the license terms, then click or click Next.
- Which type of installation in what you want? Page, click or click Customize.
- In Where do you want to install Windows? Page, do one of the following actions:
- In Windows 8.1, click or click the desired partition, click or click the formatting options when necessary, and then follow the instructions.
- In Windows 8, click or click Drive options (advanced), click or click to change, click or click the formatting options when necessary, and then follow the instructions to partition operations.
- When you have finished formatting, click or click Next.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation of Windows.