Help protect my computer with Windows Defender If you have Windows 10, you will get the latest anti-virus protection and Windows Defender in. When you start Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Defender is actively assisted by scanning for malware (malicious software), viruses and security threats to protect your PC. Use Windows Defender real-time protection to scan all downloaded or run on your PC. The Windows Update to download Windows Defender automatic updates to help keep your computer safe and protect it from threats. If you have an earlier version of Windows and use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is a good idea to move to the Windows Defender.
Schedule a scan in Windows Defender
Windows Defender regularly scans your PC to help keep it safe. If you want to set your own scan schedule:
- Search for and open Schedule tasks.
- In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows and then scroll down and double-click the Windows Defender folder.
- In the top-center pane, double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.
- Select the Triggers tab, and then select New.
- Set your time and frequency, and then select OK.
Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security.
- Select Windows Defender, then turn Real-time protection on or off.